Monday 30 May 2016

A Surprise Gift!


Recently I received a gift  -- from someone whom I have never met, a person who has never seen me. Well!

Who doesn't like a gift? And especially if it is something you like?


I can (dare to) say that I am a foodie. I know, nowadays it is an 'in' thing to proclaim being a foodie. However, that may be true and applicable for the gen-next people; but if one belongs to the gen - 'ex', then it is greeted with an imperceptibly down-turned corner of a lip. Anyway, by this stage, having withered all the down-turned lips and upturned noses, it doesn't matter much.

So obviously, my family knows my love for 'anything edible'. Whenever on a work-related tour, my bitter half tries to get some speciality of that place. No, no ..... please don't jump to the conclusion that I am labelling my husband as 'bitter half'. I guess, the complete husband sect seems to have voluntarily opted for that title. Going by the Whatsapp messages, I feel the entire husband community is self-proclaimed bitter clan. The 'N' number of jokes, about the horrible wives and poor - poor, suffering husbands, that keep bombarding through all the whatsapp groups, shout at the top of their collective, hoarse voices that the poor husbands indeed are a bitter community. So here this phrase is used just in place of the word Husband. [<-- Disclaimer :)]

But that is besides the point. So I get to taste different things from different places. And more than some fancy things, most of the times I go for some simple, ordinary things. It need not be a Michelin Star item. People would laugh if I say that I took a shine to some everyday cookies or biscuits, which my husband once got from Malaysia.
There were some fruit-flavoured cookies, each in shape of that particular fruit and also some peanut butter sandwich biscuits, which I really liked. (This was almost a decade ago, when the Indian companies had not yet introduced those in our market.)  

So those peanut butter ones became a staple after every Malaysian tour. But some two years back, he did not get any during that tour, even after searching for it. Anyway, it didn't matter much, because by then our Indian companies had just introduced the same in local market. So now I could get my stock of peanut butter sandwiches right at my friendly next door supermarket or even at the grocery shop across the street. No need to wait for the South Asian tours.

Then last week, when he returned from his latest Malaysian trip, out from his suitcase came a big box of the same sandwich biscuits.




 Apparently one of the persons from the seminar remembered that two years ago 'Sir' had been searching for these biscuits for his wife and had not found any. The shy youngster, who it seems never spoke otherwise, gave this because he "wanted to express his gratitude to Sir for all those so many things that he taught". So as a token, he wanted to give what Sir had been looking for.

Isn't that just marvellous! I mean, my husband is not even a part of the management who could further the boy's career in that organization. So just out of love, he not only remembered a simple thing of the past, but also made it a point to get it for him this time. And he gave it only after the sessions were over and when no one was around.

Though we do not know each other, all I can say is -- Thank you Nazeem, for your thoughtful and wonderful gift!


Have you experienced such unexpected, sweet gestures? Do share your anecdotes.

2 comments:

  1. well written and the expressions are truly sincere and from heart, I believe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Madhavi, for your wonderful words!

      Delete